Monday, February 20, 2012

Help choosing airbrush and spray gun

Hi all;

It's been quite a while since I last posted as I am on a bit of a forced departure from my hobby due to time availability, but I was hoping you can help me out just the same, so I can assiste with painting  on my son's first modelling projects and do some automotive paint tinkering with some motorcycle parts.

I'm looking for resources / advice on purchasing both an airbrush and also an in-between-airbrush/auto-sized spray gun.

Airbrush I want should be single action (or double action with single action mode) with gravity feed.  Leaning towards Iwata brand, but having a LOT of trouble with most sites not listing which airbrushes are single action vs double action a lot of the time.  Would really appreciate if someone can list which Iwata would be right for me, and list airbrushes from the other major brands that I could comparison shop.  I cant seem to find a good buyers guide anywhere that breaks it all down.  I know SAE covered a lot of it in some recent airbrushing articles, but I cant remember what issue(s).  There were a lot of airbrushes not covered by the article, though.  I already have a $20 external mix single action airbrush, as well as an Aztek-double action that I dont like very much.  Looking to upgrade to internal mix single action for my automotive models and use the crappy external mix for just spraying primer and flats.

The spray gun I am looking for would be mostly for 1:1 auto and motorcycle bodywork.  This would cover small jobs like painting a set of auto mirrors, motorcycle helmet or tank, but nothing bigger than a trunk lid spoiler.  I have an automotive sprayer already, but it is too big for most of these small jobs.  I want something with slightly bigger and flatter spray pattern than an aerosol spray can.

Please help me: I would like to buy something soon to work on some garage projects.  Simpler operation the better, as I paint fairly infrequently.

I'm quite inexperienced with automotive paints so far, but want to experiment on some old motorcycle parts.

Source: http://cs.scaleautomag.com/SCACS/forums/thread/1002887.aspx

Luiz Bueno Ian Burgess Luciano Burti Roberto Bussinello

No comments:

Post a Comment