Friday, February 24, 2012

'68-'70 Javelin Project: Looking for YOUR Ideas/Input

I've got several restorable '68 Javelin promos, but one has a body that's moderately badly damaged by solvent--no way it can be restored to stock (as is my usual habit). So the plan is to sand it smooth and repair it, and build my own idea of what a first-gen Javelin should have looked like (it'll need new bumpers and taillights, so I can order '68, '69, or '70 pieces from Modelhaus and build whichever year I decide on).

Now, as I'm looking at the Javelin body, I notice that the car doesn't seem to have the classic "ponycar" proportions seen in the first-gen Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds. Front overhang looks too long, and rear overhang looks too short. In other words, the wheels seem to be mounted too far back. (Cover up the top half of the body and the lower part looks more like a regular compact than a ponycar.)

So I'm thinking, just since I'm gonna build the thing "my way" anyway, a complete phantom/fantasy, why not see about moving those wheels forward maybe four to six scale inches? Not enough to look like an early funny car, just enough to get it more to the proportions of a Mustang or Camaro. I did I quick photoshop to see what it would look like. I think I like it--what do YOU think? Should I go for it or not?

Stock '68 Javelin:

 My modified version:

 

 

Source: http://cs.scaleautomag.com/SCACS/forums/thread/1002756.aspx

Peter Broeker Tony Brooks Alan Brown Walt Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment